Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Summer wrap of Kentucky

I’m back. After my extensive training at the remote Department of Defense facility in Kentucky, I am prepared for additional adventures in hunting the elusive Big Foot and other cryptozoological entities. It wasn’t all just work though as I also had several visitors over the summer, and we explored the area together. And yes, we did hit the bourbon trail for those curious about such things, and I was able to buy a nice bottle of gin.

I should first mention some of the details of this training. I have been convinced for quite some time that I am super close to catching Big Foot as my methodology is soundly based upon extensive research. I know Big Foot is hanging out in its desire habitats of breweries, distilleries, wineries, coffee shops, small cafes, etc. My failure to locate the creature means that I must continue searching and more importantly, pay closer attention. To train this skill, I was given a technical assignment to locate tiny objects mixed in various materials. To make it additionally challenging, I also had to locate larger objects in the same mixed materials in order to ensure that a thorough search was performed. This require the use of a special device which tested hand-eye coordination all while being in the natural glow of the heat and humidity of Kentucky. I would also be required to identify who was staying in the area using sophisticated tracking tools. I would also engage in covert missions to determine the nature of the visitors.

Allow me to rephrase that if that was too technical. My undercover assignment was as a camp host/gate attendant. While searching through a camp site, I would locate and pick up small cigarette butts along with occasional water bottle caps, twist ties, and wrappers from Capri Sun juice pouches. In addition, I would need to search the fire pits and pick up the larger items which usually consisted of beer cans, melted plastic bottles, and of course more cigarette butts. I would hang tags using clothes pins onto a post and these would have the dates of the stay on them written in marker. Finally, I would answer questions and engage in polite conversation with the various guests.

One may wonder how this will help locate Big Foot, and it is rather obvious. I have now honed my search techniques to a fine level. In addition, my hand eye coordination has improved thanks to the use of the special grappling device (sometimes referred to as “trash pickers”), and I have sharpened my interpersonal communication skills so I can gather further information when trying to locate Big Foot. Truly I am a finely tuned hunting machine.

All in all, it was a fun summer and so much better than work. I met many wonderful people including fellow volunteers B&C, S, and even J (but not really J). The biggest complaint isn’t the excessive heat and humidity (and it was excessive), but rather the lack of decent laundry facilities less than an hour’s drive away. There is a real need for better laundry options in rural (and I am sure also in cities in economically challenged areas) but what is offered instead is overpriced and filthy machines if there are any working at all. Sad.

Now the adventures from the summer and smattering of photos. Again, as with prior photo dumps, I will note the image with a caption and generally avoid the longer stories around it. But you are thinking, “Thor, we love your stories, tell us more”, but alas not today. Perchance when I see you I can share more.  Despite several trips back to Wisconsin, I was not able to see as many people as I would have liked to as I busy relocating my remaining personal items to a climate controlled storage unit. Man plans, God laughs.

 

One morning at the campground while taking the hunting hounds on a training mission. You may call it a walk to go potty. Potato, potato.

Heron or crane? Who cares, still pretty. A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

Another foggy morning. Humidity 98%, thankfully it was in the mid 70s since it was before 7 am.

Another gratuitous image of the water. Couldn't be helped, as it was pretty.

Last image of my site on the morning of my last day.

 

Flywheel Brewery in Elizabethtown (E-town). Good beer and friendly people. Critically it had all three types of seating (bar, tables, couches). I was here with P,M, B&L and I might have visited on my own once or twice.

Clever flag for the independent brewers of Kentucky.

This was a T-Shirt that I thought of buying. I chose not to as I didn't want anyone looking at me long enough to read it, but I agree with the message. 

Ah, the Bourbon Trail. Actually there was no trail, but rather a series of distillers over an area. Thankfully we didn't have on our hiking shoes on as that would have been disappointing. Having closed toed shoes would have come in handy with M and P when touring the barrel plant. A quick trip to several stores later and we were set. Side note, if you are looking for used and horribly worn out shoes, a certain Goodwill is selling them for $10,.

Bourbon flight at one of the places. They blended after a while and I wasn't driving. M drove and if you have ever driven with M you know the value of having had a couple as it takes the edge off.

The aforementioned M and P. We are lounging on the roof top of a cool facility. Museum quality exhibit on the history of bourbon in Kentucky. Smart way to connect with your customers and educate. If only I could remember the name. Too much bourbon.

Yet another distillery. Pretty building that M is walking in front of. P is ahead and just on the edge of the frame. I am taking the photo.


Picture of me "working" inside the booth. A tough life. 

View from trail at Mammoth Cave. Pretty area. I have other photos from the trail with B&L's dog Ernie but I have chosen to not include them. Why? Because I had to walk that huge dog in the heat and it was a bundle of energy until it pooped out. It then drank all of my cooled water and I was forced to drink from my emergency water I carry in the truck. He was so tired out that he crashed back at the trailer on my bed in the air conditioning. All of that was too cute to share so you just had to be there.


All in all, I had visits from B&L (and Ernie), M and P, and my brother and sister in law, J&M. I was able to get back north and see C along with D&S, and S&M. I did get back for Father's Day for those of you tracking that so I am not a complete loser.

I am onto my next adventure. I am headed towards Maine and working my way with at least one day stay in every state between here and there. Then we will be working our way down the east coast until we hit Virginia and then head west. What happens next is unknown at this point as that is how I am planning on rolling for a while. Nothing definitive at this time other than a total eclipse in April. 

As always,

Thor

4 comments:

  1. Woot! You’re back, love reading about your adventures. Wish we’d gone on the trail, but the heat defeated us. Can’t wait to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog. Missed it. We're headed towards Hot Air Balloons & the annular eclipse at the beginning of next month. As an expert on Big Feet (?) are they more or less likely to appear during an eclipse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post. I particularly enjoyed reference to the department of defense facility. Nothing but the truth! Got to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are back posting! Fun to read of your adventures…especially the picking up of butts.

    ReplyDelete