Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Texas, part deux

I must once again apologize for my lack of updates. The search for Big Foot is very time consuming and I often lose track of the days. I know the haters out there might ascribe that to my lifestyle, but I can assure you that I spend my time in the noble pursuit of knowledge and the unknown.

I have been bouncing around the hill country of Texas in my searching for cryptozoological creatures along with alternative options for my future adventures. Both of these endeavors are perilous and have many twists and turns. First off I'll share some photos of what I have been up to. Since it has been a while since I posted, there may be more photos than details as after a while things get a bit hazy. The pictures are in chronological order but there are some gaps in time. To make it easier, this all happened between my last positing and this posting.  

I enjoyed a delicious beverage at Free Roam in Boerne. Boerne is the home of three breweries, but this one is my favorite. Great beer, food trucks, seating. You'll see it again later. I also like Cibolo Creek Brewing but that's more hip than this place and therefore an unlikely place to locate a cryptid.

Back to Andalusia Whiskey in Blanco. Their old fashioned is sublime as their smoked whiskey makes an excellent base. Follow up with simple syrup, a little bitters, orange peel, and top it of with a Luxardo cherry. Happiness in a glass at a reasonable price.

Another hike with the dogs at Pedernales Falls. I took a bunch of  pictures but picked this one for the blog. That was like a month ago and not sure why, but it was pretty.


The outdoor space at Roughhouse Brewing in Wimberley. They had great beers plus the best outdoor area I have seen for a small brewery. It is a real family friendly place. Thankfully I came on a rainy day so my peace was not disturbed by a bunch of kids running around having fun.

Dogs and I took a hike at Guadalupe River State Park. There are multiple trails there but this was their first visit to the river trail. The tree roots are spectacular.

Love the tree roots. Guadalupe River State Park.



Another visit to  Boerne and my least favorite brewery there - Tusculum Brewing. Beer is fine, just a boring, lifeless space and since it lacks bar seating, it will always have the feel of a mall brewery. 

Back yard and food truck at Free Roam in Boerne. Told you we would be back.

Back to Acopon in Dripping Springs. I love that place. Typical of my favorite style - not too big, bar seating, awesome beers, patrons happy to chat with a stranger. Couldn't ask for more. 

I laid around a bit. I'm sitting in my chair outside enjoying the sun and looking at the dog park and laundry and bathrooms for the park. 

I decided to include proof that the dogs still exist and go hunting for cryptids with me. 

At a local restaurant, further proof that I am on the correct path for Big Foot.

Unsurprisingly, another visit to Andalusia for another Old Fashioned. This time I sat outside so I am not afraid to mix it up.

This was a really weird drink from Real Ale Distillery. Can't say as I enjoyed it but it was a lovely day so what the heck.. 

Weathered Souls Brewing in San Antonio. Technically in a strip mall, but not a mall feel. One of two breweries where I celebrated my birthday. There would have been more, but I had Indian food in between and it was delicious. Too good, and I didn't leave room for more beer. I hate when that happens. 



Irish Ale at Second Pitch Beer Company. I highly recommend this brewery when you are in San Antonio. Beer was excellent and they have a special deal where you drink out of the 64oz boot mug on your birthday. It was my birthday but the rules didn't allow solo drinkers (but I lived in Wisconsin, that should count like two or more from other states). As I was contemplating this, a young man came in with his wife and two kids and ordered it. I figured he really needed it more than I. 


I suppose I should also include a picture of my other beverage. I am outside enjoying this oat milk latte at Buchannan's in Blanco. They have a really nice inside space like a sitting room and when it was "cold", the fire place was going. 

From my dashcam you can see a horse in the road. It blocked the road back from the second part of Guadalupe River State Park. I slowly drove past it and as I did, it walked up to the truck, gave it a nudge, and walked away. No idea who the horse belonged to nor did I care to find out. As a side note, I tweaked with the image to make it more visible. The windshield was very dusty and I was driving into the sun so the horse was washed out. I included the GPS coordinates in the trimmed image if you are bored.  

Old homestead on the back part of Guadalupe River State Park. Or a fixer upper I am looking at getting. You decide.

Thought the rock was cool in case I run into any geologists.

And now for my future. I have plans to bounce around Texas until the time of the solar eclipse in April. If you are not aware, this is the best opportunity to see a total solar eclipse in the US for the next 20 years or so. For some of you this may be your last chance, so you might want to check it out. Nevertheless, after the eclipse, I plan on selling my trailer. I will then utilize short term rentals for the near term as I come to decision and finalize arrangements. What are the options? In no particular order: 1) continue full time on the road with a truck camper or drivable RV. 2) continue full time on the road with a smaller vehicle and utilize short term rentals and overlanding options. 3) purchase a dwelling and switch to part time travel (using any of the previous travel options). These all have pros and cons and no final decision has been made. I have narrowed down the options within each category (for example which states I would consider buying a dwelling in - and no, not Wisconsin) and once I decide on the path, the rest should become clearer. 

You are asking, why not Wisconsin? I had made a quick visit to the state to see my children and this is the weather for some of the days I was there. If you do not see the issue, then you cannot possibly understand why I do not want to live there. 

Thankfully Wednesday also came with snow. Even the dogs were not having it.

I will post again around the eclipse and hopefully you are busy making plans to see it. I will be closer to a decision by then, but I do not expect to have full clarity until later this summer as there is no rush. I fully expect to still be nomadic by my second anniversary on  May 22nd.

As always, 

Thor

braxwood.com

9 comments:

  1. Is Wisconsin in Canada? Temp doesn't sound so bad if it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be. Once one is so far north it is hard to tell.

      Delete
  2. Funny, if just been wondering about your doings. Sounds like interesting stuff coming up. L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh THAT Old Fashioned! Hmmmm maybe a trip to Andalusia..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always great to see your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly look forward to your posts. Would love to be a fly on the wall when those locals talk to a stranger….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just over 50% alchohol related pictures to non-alchohol. Is it getting to be time for an intervention? Also hanging around bathrooms??? "I'm sitting in my chair outside enjoying ... looking at the ... bathrooms for the park."

    ReplyDelete