Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Headed to Maine

As we last communicated I indicated I was headed to Maine. I have arrived and I'm looking forward to searching for Bigfoot in this area as there are many breweries and small eateries. 

My first stop on the trip from Kentucky was just outside of Cincinnati. I had a Harvest Host site (recall that this is a service where one stays for free and in return you support the business). This was actually a church and I had the parking lot all to myself but it was a touch warm that night. As such the dogs and I headed to a potential Big Foot location. Coincidently B&L were in town to watch a professional pickleball tournament. I didn't think were such things but I guess people will believe in anything. Anyhow, Big Foot was not at Third Eye Brewing but the beer and tacos were delicious and the dogs were able to hang out with us and get treats from the brewery. 

Cool logo and great beer. No Big Foot.

Before I leave Ohio behind, I should mention that the Cincinnati area looks like an awesome place. Plenty of breweries and things to do. I hate to say nice things about Ohio despite having lived there, but I am impressed. I will have to return for a longer stay.

Next stop was Pennsylvania. We hit a KOA for a night so we could cool down with Air Conditioning as the hunting hounds were a touch hot. We then stayed at another Harvest Host, but this time a winery - Seven Mountains Wine Cellars. I was able to get a flight of dry reds which were seriously good as was the Amish cheeses they had. Dinner was therefore eaten on the patio as the rains started but at least I was dry. 


Actually much more expensive than a campground when you factor in the 4 bottles of wine I bought.


As there was no sign of Big Foot yet, it was time to head to New York. I tried out a local brewery - Beer Tree. They had mostly IPAs of one type of another and while I was not in the mood for yet another IPA, I had one and it was tasty. Of course it was since there are few bad craft beers, but there are some that are average and some that amazing. This was fine. There was seating at the bar, but too many people for my taste as that has a tendency to scare off Big Foot. 

YAI. Yet another IPA.


So as to increase my odds of catching the elusive prey, I tried a new cidery that was in the area - New Leaf Cider.. I tried several ciders and was really impressed so I bought some for later in case the need arose (like in case of a hurricane). I did try their graf which is a blend of beer and cider. Unfortunately the beer chosen was incorrect for the cider, the season, and the name they gave to it. They did offer to swap it out but I have learned my lesson from a certain brewery and their smoked wheat beer (gratzer) that one needs to drink a full glass before one makes up their mind. Turns out I was right, it wasn't good. Alas.

Great ciders and seating at the bar. Can't complain.

After New York and not finding Big Foot at a winery, cidery, or brewery it was time to try Vermont. Thankfully just like the last time we were in Vermont (with Amy, B and C), it rained almost nonstop. I was able to enjoy a delicious streak at Black Rock Steakhouse which was cooked perfectly. I generally do not eat steak nor do I have someone else cook it for me but this was a nice treat.  The next day I checked out the local coffee shop and had a lovely latte made with oat milk. While I am not lactose intolerant, milk (and ice cream) are avoided as I do not enjoy stomach cramps. Thankfully cheese is still good as I also shopped at the local food co-op which had a lot of local products including some nice Vermont cheeses. I thought I found Big Foot but it turns out to have just been a local resident who has avoided regular grooming. I should have known better as the Big Foot I am seeking bathes regularly.

Next stop was New Hampshire. As you get the sense, this has been a whirlwind tour. Partially that is due to my desire to get to Maine quickly, my lack of interest in hanging out in certain areas, and my shock at the cost of the campgrounds in New England. To be really fair, I need to spend a season in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine so I can try searching for Big Foot in more places and possibly experience a sunny day.

New Hampshire was as beautiful as I recalled and I think we drove on the same roads the last time we were there. I didn't go to any breweries but I did buy a selection of local beers (brown ales and a rye ale) just in case I had a need for a stockpile of beverages. I did check out Vintage Baking Company and enjoyed a croissant and coffee on the deck in the rain.  

I also bought a loaf of bread and some scones. Oddly no Big Foot as a bakery is an ideal place to find one. 

I finally made it to Maine and it is lovely here. I am right by the water and have a lovely view with plenty of places to walk the dogs. There aren't many people here as apparently the forecasted hurricane has dissuaded people from camping. That just makes it better as that means it will be peaceful this weekend other than the rain and winds.  It looks like the worst of it will go north of here so it should be all fine.

Finally the sun!



Ozzy ready to go to the beach

Lucy not quite as ready and really suggesting we should turn back. I will leave it to your imagination on what we did.



Until next time when we wrap up our Maine exploration...

5 comments:

  1. The weather (in pics) looks great in Maine. Hope the edge of the hurricane treats you like it did us: a day of consistent rain but no real issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the beasts were conflicted in the scents and thought bigfoot was near. Or Lucy is stubborn and wants her way, but that can't possibly be right. Lucy? Drama queen? Never

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked her up and went on your way-correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to that area so I will need to live vicariously through Thor. Does look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete