Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Monday, July 18, 2022

Moving on - no more house and to the thumb of Michigan

After finishing up my extensive search in the Keweenaw peninsula, I knew it was time to try the search elsewhere. The drive on US 41 is very scenic and I highly recommend it if one is in the area. I meandered my way to Marquette, MI. There was a lovely waterfront area and we searched for Big Foot near the grounds of a former power plant. In addition, the downtown waterfront was truly beautiful and worthy of a further look for the mighty beast. I made a mental note that I should pass through this area again and explore the wonders that the tranquil shores of Lake Superior had to offer. The mental note did indicate to explore this area in the summer only so perhaps this year or next.

During my drive this day (actually just as I was emptying my black and grey tanks) the sale of my house closed. This was bittersweet as Amy and I designed and built the house and it held some really wonderful positive memories. Of course it also was the place of the saddest day of my life. In the end I was happy that property was sold and in the hands of new people who can breathe new life in the house and enjoy it.

The old homestead - digitally enhanced


My next stop was at the former K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base in the UP. This was the home base of a bomber squadron and refueling wing until the mid 1990's base closures had this on the chopping block. I spent the night in the parking lot of the museum as part of the Harvest Host program. This allows free camping at various locations with the expectation that you would patronize their establishment. The museum was closed so I was unable to tour it but the grounds of the base were still there (more or less) and it was interesting. The area lost about 14,000 residents when the base closed in an area that has about 100,000 people. This was devastating as one could imagine. The abandoned buildings are in a continuous state of decomposition while the occupied ones are holding their ground. The apartments buildings are in really bad shape as are nearby hotels which are all abandoned. I could have taken dozens of pictures of the decay but it seemed too easy. I prefer to think of the men and women of the Air Force and their families who were stationed there for years. It is a base in the middle of forests amidst a generally undeveloped peninsula. Nevertheless, they did their duty and served for a mission that thankfully never really came. It made me think of all those who work doing their part for a functioning society that just do their duty without any real recognition and without fanfare. All of these jobs make our society hum and I appreciate those who contribute towards that. However, Big Foot didn't seem to be there as there was a distinctive lack of cafes and breweries at the base so I moved on.

Sign at the museum


Static display of a bomber

The next stop on the hunt was in Indian River, MI. There was a microbrewery that is part of the Harvest Host network so I decided to search for Big Foot there. Northland Brewing has a large patio and yard for the people visiting their establishment and space in the back for parking your rig. In addition there are food trucks that are out front so I was sure this would be the place for Big Foot. I took the beast hunters for a small walk and waited for everything to open. Shortly after 4 pm, I purchased my first beverage of the night and bought three tacos from the food truck. I patiently sipped my beer and waited for the beast while enjoying some excellent tacos (pastor, carnitas, and pollo). I even had to have a second brew as the beast was no where to be seen. Just then another camper arrived with their dog and my beasts were sent into a tizzy. I suspect that this "dog" was secretly an agent of Big Foot and was sent to distract the animals. I was forced to lock the dogs up and was able to only hang around the brewery for another frosty beverage and then head back to the trailer. I suspect that this was a plot by the secret society protecting Big Foot intended to confound and confuse us so we decided to call it a night. Global cabals are not easily defeated.

Northland Brewery

Taking advantage of the Harvest Host

We then made the drive down to the thumb of Michigan. The beasts were tired from the previous day and decided to avail themselves of the road time to rest.

Lucy avoiding the light

Ozzy and Lucy enjoying some together time

I arrived at the tip of the thumb at the remote base station of J & M. Yes, the same ones from Ireland so I knew that I needed to be prepared for some late nights and adult beverages. We met up with another brother, who shall be named J in accordance with this blog's policy. This will soon prove to be confusing as the pseudo random name generator keeps coming up with the same letter for my brothers which is odd. This J was celebrating his birthday so we took a night off from the hunt.

I was able to convince J & M and J to join in the hunt for Big Foot which was very valuable to have additional people to be on the lookout. The next search spot was at local BBQ establishment, Dark Sky, which has recently opened. Big Foot is a fan of small local eateries that have quality food and good beers so I was sure this was a good choice. I enjoyed the brisket and the beverages but alas, no Big Foot. We will need to return as this is definitely his/her type of place.

Dark Sky - good BBQ and Beer

We also checked out several other locations which will likely need additional investigations. One of these was Thumb Brewery. The porter was excellent, and I know Big Foot loves a quality porter so I kept a keen eye for the beast.. We hung out for a a little while but there was no sighting of the creature during our visit. We will have to return again to see if the wild being makes a visit.
J along with M & J

I will be in this general region for a while so there will be plenty of opportunity to revisit these and other hot spots of Big Foot activity. 


Thor

3 comments:

  1. Very tricky creature that Big Foot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the microbreweries you are finding. I am thinking though that perhaps Bigfoot doesn’t like beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of us living vicariously in your travels, how about some pictures inside the trailer? Working out for you?

    ReplyDelete