Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Sioux Falls

This time we are in Sioux Falls. Well, technically I am staying south of the city but more on that later. We have taken care of some business this visit and also explored the region in pursuit of the elusive prey. I am often hesitant to refer to Big Foot by gender as we speak of Big Foot often in the generic term and not specific. For example, I am sure that some might have success looking for a vegan Big Foot in the middle of the Pacific Northwest, but that is not the sort of Big Foot I am looking for. Just as we all different people and not a monolithic entity, neither is Big Foot. I am looking for the kind that hang out in microbreweries, wineries, small cafes, pleasant parks with properly identified hiking trails, restaurants with barbecue and smoked meats, bakeries, even museums. Clearly a more sophisticated Big Foot with a well defined palate open to the finer things. I will leave the tofu Big Foot to others.


Sioux Falls (middle falls)

Our first stop was in Aberdeen, SD. For reasons I will mention later, I stayed in a hotel that night and enjoyed unlimited water and a private flush toilet. I didn't bother with the television as I am unsure if I remember how those operate and Big Foot needed to be found. I headed off to the One Legged Pheasant (got it right this time S). The brewery had only one other couple when I got there so I was able to quickly ascertain that Big Foot was not there at that moment. Since I had time to kill before a possible sighting, I sampled several of their beverages. Their Dark Helmet is a Schwarzbier, and it was nearly as good as my gold standard on that brew (Runaway in Burlington - Oktoberfest for three weekends starting 9/17 if you are in town). What really impressed me though was the Irish stout ala Guinness (they called it Kilt Kicker). It was the closest I have had to Guinness in this country and truly was delicious. I decided to try a local pizza place as they had broccoli on the pizza as a standard and I love random vegetables put on foods (sincerely). I had a growler handy so I had it filled and headed back to the hounds and to enjoy the comforts of a real bed.

One Legged Pheasant and beertender


I decided to check out Sioux Falls and their plethora of microbreweries. Sioux Falls is a big small town and has all the trappings of a major city, including opportunities to seek out Big Foot. I checked out Woodgrain in downtown Sioux Falls. While this was not the type of building I am used to seeking Big Foot in, the beer was excellent. I had both a hazy IPA and an Oktoberfest. Both were superb and I decided food was in order. Since I didn't see Big Foot there, I went to a nearby classic style diner (Philips Avenue Diner) and had a very nice turkey avocado BLT. There was no sign of Big Foot and I had a to go order made up at Woodgrain, for later naturally.
Brewery in a lobby of a bank. 'Nuff said

I also tasted the wares at Lupulin Brewing. Again, in an unusual location (a strip mall) and technically a chain as this is the second location, I nevertheless persevered. They had what they called a bloody mary bar where you could add things to your beer. I declined as that struck me as insane and instead made an uncharacteristic choice of a peanut butter and chocolate stout. It reminded me a Reese's peanut butter cup which I am sure sounds wonderful to many but not to me, I am not sure what I was thinking other than I hoped it had coffee tones that they failed to mention. It did not. I was pretty much done at that point as I could not get that taste out of mouth, I am sure if you love chocolate and peanut butter you would love that beer and find their combinations delightful. Clearly Big Foot was not there as it was a strip mall (I assume that didn't have to be said).

Lupulin - other location in Minnesota.


I met up with S and S from our previous adventure for a few beverages at Remedy Brewing for dinner and some liquid refreshments. I had a great time with them as usual as they are full timers and have a great sense of humor and outlook on life. The burger was quite tasty and the salad was reasonable for a brewery. Since it was hot that day I had their take on a lime infused Mexican style beer. It was pretty limey so I am sure I am cured of any scurvy. We failed to find Big Foot or win the 50/50 raffle but some local charity was the real winner anyhow. It was great seeing them and I am sure our paths will cross again - perhaps in Texas this winter.



Cool outdoor space at Remedy. No clue who the dude is in the picture, don't really care. The sabbatical
 life is chill that way.

While searching for possible replacement campers, I stopped at a local eatery for lunch. I was hoping for the elusive wings but they had a limited menu due to staff levels and construction. The restaurant was packed so it certainly was not the food. I tried what was called "Indian Tacos". I thought perhaps they used naan in a new way but it was not the case. In any event it was tasty and not at all fancy.
Northstar Grill and Pub. I only had water here - I don't drink booze constantly so don't worry


The dogs and I enjoyed serval hikes in the area and explored Vermillion which is south of Sioux Falls. Vermillion has a college as did Aberdeen and Sioux Falls. Lots of colleges in South Dakota apparently.  In Sioux Falls, the falls are on the Big Sioux River. The actual falls had three drops but the lower falls were removed in 1912 to improve the hydro plant. Of course within a few short years, the hydro was not sufficient so they put in a coal plant and destroyed the falls for no good reason. I could make a comment about shortsightedness of utilities but that would be pointless as that was clearly a different time and you would not see that kind of short term thinking today. Thankfully some citizens realized the treasure that is the river through the city and they have been working to improve public access and improving the area around it. In any event, the dogs and I enjoyed it and despite our thorough search, there was no sign of Big Foot.

Falls park is really nice and break. There were plenty of people enjoying the day we were there too.

As I mentioned, we had some errands to run. All three of us got a haircut as we all were looking shaggy and wilting in the hot sun. And to avoid the obvious comments, I went to human place and they went to a dog groomer. I had thought I could try to grow out my hair, but it grows so fast and not as desired. Instead of a Fabio style of hair, it is more reminiscent of the Beatles ala 1964 and since I had that hair style in much of my youth, I decided to get it chopped off. I also spent quite a bit of time searching for the next adventure platform. I have certain requirements and apparently there is not a van tardis or a van of requirement which could hold everything but be really small on the outside, Considering that, I feel I am closer to a decision than I was prior to visiting South Dakota. I was also able to establish my legal residency in South Dakota (hence the hotel stay for the proper receipt) so I am no longer stateless. I could have use the "campground" I am staying at but thought it would be cleaner this way. Unfortunately when I made this reservation, I was in a panicked mood due to the Labor Day holiday and made a rookie mistake. This is a "Campground and RV Park". There is nothing that should chill your blood more than "RV Park" (whereas "RV Resorts" are wonderful). I talked to a woman who was living there and had been for three months since they sold their home. She said she had never been camping before and all I could think was you still haven't. Perhaps they don't know that their Class As, trailers, and fifth wheels all have tires and are meant to be moved. Most of the RVs were newer and the trucks were also newer and capable of operation. In any event, I cut my stay short. I should mention that the city I am in (Beresford) has a lovely park and a great place to walk the dogs. I am incredibly impressed in the civic pride and general friendliness of everyone in spite of it all. 

"Pool" at the "campground". They didn't advertise a pool so it was a surprise to see one. You can zoom in and see the bushes growing in the deep end, at the far side. It's been a while.
 

I am off to Iowa next and then Wisconsin (southern and northern). I have reservations through the end of October at mostly public campgrounds (county, state, and Army Corps) and one private campground that I previously stayed at, and I am looking at satellite images and street view prior to booking - lesson learned. After Wisconsin I am in Kentucky for several weeks before I head east and then south. I might make a stop in West Virginia to search for Mothman.


Thor

Braxwood.com

If you have not read all of these, please at least read the welcome message as it may explain a few things about the adventure. Feel free to read all of the posts and comment. I may or may not reply to comments based upon an inscrutable set of criteria.

If you are interested in getting email notifications of these postings but have not figured out how to do that yet, you can email me at thor.braxwood@gmail.com and I can manually add you. If you are more self-sufficient, a helpful hint is to go to full web version and look on the right side. Otherwise you will just need to randomly check in but if you contact me directly and ask me what I have I been up to, I will direct you to the blog but I will still talk to you. I mean, I am traveling with dogs and while I talk to them they have yet to speak to me.



2 comments:

  1. Is there such a thing as a van with a tent extension? Only use the extension for lounging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like brewpubs have not been good locations for finding Big Foot. Have you considered patisserie's or bakeries? Maybe Big Foot likes espresso's?

    ReplyDelete