Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Back to the US - some sad changes

I returned to the US and instead of my direct flight to Chicago, I was made to go through Newark. Anyone who has flown internationally and has had to change planes in the US know what a pain that can be as you have to recheck your bags and go back through security. In a stroke of coincidence, I had gotten through security when I heard a familiar voice. One of Amy's friends, GB,  happened to be there when her flight from Canada was rerouted. She was looking for someone she met in Canada who mostly spoke French that she was trying to help navigate the airport. She didn't find her, but she did find me! It was great catching up with her as I have not seen her much since Amy passed away as work and life gets in the way. She kindly invited me to the United lounge and I got to see how the other half lives. We were seated only one row apart on the way back to Chicago. As I said, what a random coincidence.

My dutiful son, B, picked me up at the airport and we had dinner together. It was nice to see him but the nomadic adventures can't wait so the next day I picked up the trailer and made camp again at Bong. I picked up the dogs and Heidi was not doing well. She had stopped eating and my in-laws did an incredible job nursing her along and encouraging her but Heidi was running out of steam. I celebrated Father's Day on Saturday with my son B and my daughter C (again following this blog's policy of assigning random letters to people to avoid using names). They had an opportunity to say goodbye to Heidi as it was clear that her time had come. On Sunday I stopped at Amy's place and we had a conversation (mostly one sided as I am finally able to do all of the talking) and I came to the conclusion that Monday I would contact the vet. On Monday Heidi found peace and was able to run with Amy again which I am very grateful for. I then packed up the other hunting hounds and headed for a site with electrical hookups as it was to be in the 90s that week and air conditioning was needed by all.

Heidi - alive


I was able to tie up some loose ends at the house prior to the closing and gave away the last of my things. This time it was my riding mower and snow blower to B and L (B’s fiancĂ©) for their new house. My house is now officially empty. I met with friends and relaxed that week. I met with J and E at their remote location and reviewed my plans. They live near the Beast of Bray Road and I made a mental note to return. I also met up with fellow members of the W club - G and M and had a wine tasting. I was sure Big Foot would be in the area as it was pretty popular and then I noticed the road construction. Big Foot hates that and was likely not to be found, but we still drank the wine.

On Amy's birthday I got Heidi's cremated remains back so I put her with the other dogs in the Hall of Fame at their undisclosed location. It was a very emotional birthday this year. It has been five years since Amy passed and I miss her daily. The cleaning out of the house and selling it was very emotional as we designed that house together and spent many hours picking out fixtures and features. It was very real now that I have gotten rid of so much including that property. Life is not at all like we planned. Things are very different from what we would have wanted or expected but that is the nature of life and you have to be able to find joy in there somewhere otherwise it isn't worth living.

No more time for Big Foot hunting as the loss of Heidi and the impact of the changes were enough for a week. Onto new adventures.

Amy and some random person from a few years ago


Nomad life looks a lot like non-nomadic life, with more dirt.


2 comments:

  1. What's in the bowl next to the Also good luck remembering all those code names!! (sorry about Heidi.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a citronella candle Amy bought to ward off mosquitos. Perhaps it has expired as it did not seem effective. For the code names, I have a highly sophisticated tracking mechanism which simplifies the process for me.

    ReplyDelete