Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Monday, October 2, 2023

Connecticut

It was an exciting and productive hunt for Big Foot in Connecticut albeit a bit rainy. In fact, it seemed to rain nearly every day, but I am sure that would be nearly impossible to believe. The fall colors started to kick in which was part of the reason for the visit, but it was far from peak color. You still have time to go.

I was joined on the hunt for Big Foot primarily with my brother J. Since the supercomputer that comes up with random letters seems to constantly come up with a J for every one of my brothers, I have decided to reprogram the system to produce a two-letter identifier for my brothers. Hopefully this reduces confusion as I unable to get the highly evolved processing unit to properly randomize with just one letter their names. Therefore, this brother after regeneration is now JM. His wife K was able to join in on a few of our explorations but alas, some people need to work and cannot spend as much time hunting Big Foot as I. Despite not finding Big Foot in Connecticut, it was a nice visit with JM&K along with my nephew, J, and his girlfriend M. 

JM and I visited a series of likely Big Foot hangouts throughout the southern New England region. I would say greater Hartford, but we even extended our search one day to Massachusetts. To be fair, these are all small states, and a two-hour drive would put you in southern New Hampshire. I know this as we made a side quest to look at alternative Big Foot hunting equipment for me but more on that later.

This will end up being a photo dump and some discussion of each establishment as far as I recall. It turns out Big Foot hunting is thirsty work and I tend to forget where I’ve been on a given day – especially when it never stops raining. I try to utilize my credit card receipts to remind me, but JM&K often treated which was awesome and yet exposes a disturbing lack of preparedness on my part for this blog. It is almost like I sit down with an adult beverage and just start writing as a stream of consciousness.

In any event, here we go and in a semi random order.

JM at Urban Lodge Brewing Company in the basement. Tasty but it did rain this day.

I have chosen to not include a picture of one of the places we went. Let me just say a few words and you can draw your own conclusions. Hooker. I had two and was quite satisfied. JM paid and was impressed with my stamina. And it did rain that day so one could say it was moist.

Connecticut Valley Brewing. Actually quite delicious and seriously overpriced. Since it was raining, we didn't have much choice.

2nd Bridge Brewing Company. This was a really cool place and it would be an awesome hangout. Lower level of an old mill and it felt very comfortable. Beer was excellent but no Big Foot. And yes, it rained that day.

East Hartford Brewing. Awesome beer. Seriously drinkable and I got some to go. They had a clever event for dogs where the dogs would do some paining without getting messy. I can share details if one is interested. It was raining so hard that the flooding make it impossible to enter through the normal door and we had to go through a side door. 

Paddle Creek Beer Company. Not the best of neighborhoods but really good beer. A home brewer that grew to run a part time brewery. These kinds of places are amongst my favorites as I admire the passion and dedication. 

We planned on another night that didn't happen to have rain to go to Hops On the Hill with JM&K. Unfortunately it was packed and we knew Big Foot detests crowds so we went to Elicit Brewing. As luck would have it there was a fundraiser for youth soccer that night and it was packed. Since there was no Big Foot at least we could have something to drink and a bite to eat. It was a big beer hall and packed with people but overall not a bad place. I would generally not hang out there with those large crowds but at least I know parents will drink to support their children. 

JM&K also took me to Willimantic Brewing Company. Good food and good beer. A bit of a drive from Hartford, but that doesn't mean much. Speaking of a drive, I mentioned JM and I went to New Hampshire. On the way back we stopped at the Tap Brewing Company. If you should ever find yourself in Massachusetts, I would recommend checking this place out. Great food and awesome beer.

On the last few days we prepped the pool for closing for the season since the rain finally relented. We headed one more time to Hops on the Hill. Turns out the parking was packed again but we braved it anyhow and it was great. Beer was awesome and there was enough space to spread outside (since the monsoon was finally over) and we were able to find some seats.

Good beer but again really expensive. I mean $9 for a pint is ridiculous since that same pint is only $6 elsewhere. Of course since the beer was good and the place was packed, who cares.

As I previously mentioned, I went with JM to look at Big Foot hunting equipment. I am looking at alternatives like a truck camper and JM&K are exploring getting into Big Foot hunting and would need equipment too. They have more space needs than I which is not surprising since they have a larger dog (Rosie) than both of mine combined and then doubled. No decisions have been made and won’t likely be made until I decide on procuring a base of operations. That was my original plan, but I got distracted along the way. Once I decide on if I need a base of operations, and where that base would be located, then I could decide on what changes need to be made to my Big Foot hunting equipment if any.

More adventures await as I head to New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland for my next installment. I am actually in New Jersey as I write this and I never thought I would be towing a camper and able to see the skyline of Manhattan at the same time. Or was it I never thought it would be a good idea? In any event, I am still alive and hunting.

Until next time,

Thor

braxwood.com


2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I appreciate the clear and conscious plan for the future

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie misses her canine cousins. But I suspect O and L are having a beer saying, "thank God we have escaped THAT beast!"

    ReplyDelete