Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Sunday, May 7, 2023

North to Wisconsin

When last heard from, I was in southern Missouri. Lots of searching since then but I have once again lost track of time and my sojourn in southern Wisconsin is almost at an end. I would like to blame my continued internet connectivity issues or the brutally hard search for Big Foot but alas, it may be due more to my own forgetfulness about posting and thinking it hasn't been that long. For those that follow YouTubers that post regularly, you should know it takes a lot of time to produce that content plus scripting and editing. Blogging is far easier as I often have no clue what I am going to write until my fingers hit the keyboard. I can't even maintain a consistent schedule for this, but I do have a dog laying on my arms as I type so there is that.

My first stop was in Hannibal, Missouri. I decided to forgo the Mark Twain Cave tour but I did go to the campground. The closest brewery was a nano and they served the beer in plastic cups. Definitely a no no but I am very tolerant of incompetence as y'all know. The Great River Brewing Company was pretty new and was in a temporary location until their building was remodeled. The beer was quite delicious despite the faux pas of plastic drinkware so I decided to have several. Obviously there was no Big Foot there as Big Foot would have demanded proper drinkware.

A dark one. Apparently a short pour or I started drinking without taking a picture. You decide.

Some sort of Ale likely. I should really take notes but I am so busy drinking that I forget. Plus I do put in an app (Untappd) which I suppose I could reference for times like this but the aforementioned dog is weighing my arm down. 

There was a nearby winery so I decided to see if Big Foot decided to be hiding out there. Cave Hollow Winery was on the grounds of the campground and cave so I could walk there. I prefer that for drinking establishments as it removes any limitation on my exploring. Unfortunately due to Big Foot's penchant for better establishments, the cost becomes my limitation. The wine was quite nice as I sampled the dry reds which is my wheelhouse. No Big Foot and actually only one other customer so it was a quick visit.

Nice selection of wines

After Missouri I moved onto Iowa. I spent a night at a custom truck camper manufacturer and checked out their wares. I have been planning on seeing their shop for several years so I was happy to see the process and options. I have a spot in my heart for the truck camper concept as it would give me the best of van life without the overpriced van and ability to drop the camper if the situation warrants. It is one of the reasons I upgraded to the truck I upgraded to with the increased payload capacity. We shall see. I also stopped at a local bar for a bite. I didn't see Big Foot but there were plenty of other odd creatures. No tap beer and since I do not drink macro brews, I had limited options. I talked to a few people but the gentleman next to me was most interesting. In addition to the nature and content of his conversation with friends and the bartender, he would take shots of cheap booze (fireball whiskey mixed with some sort schnapps), and drink his "piss water" beer. He looked about 67 years old so I figured the old timer had a hard life. I was certainly surprised when he mentioned he was 55. Let's just say it was an interesting night, especially as the hail storms rolled through.

The next day I was in the area near where I purchased the current trailer. I wanted to get a suspension upgrade in anticipation of Alaska along with some minor repairs from the road and usage. The campground I planned on staying at was still closed for the season so I spent the first night in their parking lot and then after the repairs and upgrades, I went to stay at a different campground. There was plenty of rain and the puddles were all over including around the electrical post. I prefer to use electric space heat when I can as it is virtually free versus my propane. Thankfully I avoided electrocution this time. Decorah, Iowa was a surprise as it is a small town with several breweries, a cidery, and many local stores. 

The sun came out after the rains, and I took it as a positive sign. Of course there was snow on the truck the next morning which was not at all appreciated.

Toppling Goliath is a huge operation with international award winning beers. I can attest to the quality of their product and to top it off their food options were excellent. I had an amazing salad with grilled salmon and the assorted veggies that come with that. Very satisfying meal and excellent brews.

The other local brewery was Pulpit Rock Brewing. Good selections but lacking any dark beers which was disappointing. There were a couple of guys from the Milwaukee area drinking in there and they were also staying at the local campground. Nice guys and certainly knew how to drink. I don't think they were also looking for Big Foot but it didn't matter as there was no sight of the creature there.
Pulpit Rock Brewing

The Convergence Cider Works was also a local gem. The cider was very good using all local apples and heritage varieties. They also had a nice menu and I had a lovely pesto sandwich and good conversation with both the server and the owner. They are typical of many small business owners in this industry. They have twelve irons in the fire and are constantly working and not just for financial reward but often out of a sense of commitment to the community and their chosen craft. I drink because I care. Unfortunately Big Foot was not seen this day.
Good ciders, I tend toward the drier ciders and not sweet and they had a good selection of both.

From Iowa I reentered Wisconsin, home of many odd and wonderful creatures. I was warned to avoid Wisconsin until mid May but between C's graduation and my top secret research assignment in Kentucky, it couldn't be helped. I was greeted with a Wisconsin spring, meaning it was 39 degrees and raining but don't worry it was just 80 degrees (which all visitors to the state seem to miss). I started my stay at another county park. Thankfully I had plenty of water and had dumped my tanks in Iowa as there was neither option available in the park but the location was good and it was open which is more than I could say about anywhere else. I eventually settled into a different private campground as the county park had a limitation of how long one could stay.

I was the only camper there 4 of the 6 days of my stay. I enjoyed the quiet and plenty of walking paths.

I was in Muskego, WI so while doing some laundry, I decided to check out a local coffee shop. Vintage Grounds was really nice and had a very relaxed vibe. They had what could be considered antiques including a rotary phone. The coffee was good but since I was on the dry cycle I had limited time and couldn't hang out too long. If you find yourself in the area, check them out. I wish I had more time to lounge there as I am sure if I waited long enough, Big Foot would have strolled in but alas, I had to go.

Leather furniture, kind of a chill vibe for a place full of caffeine

Since I was in the neighborhood and my favorite brewery was not open yet, I went to Eagle Park. They have decent brews but it is one of those industrial chic soulless places that are all over. The beer was very good, but look at that short pour. I should not be paying for that much foam. It came out of their tip so let that be a lesson to every beer pourer - that is on you!
Black Ale at Eagle Park

Thankfully I was able to go The Runaway several times when I was in the area. That place continues to impress me as I travel around and remains my favorite. Their Schwarzbier is second to none and they have added a number of sandwiches to their menu. Based upon some sage advice from the brewer, J, I had a great panini and a relaxing time. I stopped by several other times and enjoyed a couple more beverages and some of their food. I also had my traditional humus tray which is packed with pita wedges, veggies and really good humus. I was able to get a couple of crowlers to enjoy later. I just have to remember to not drink them first (I still have beer from New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Iowa to drink). 

Just wanted to point out that I don't just drink, I do eat relatively healthy too. The dark bitterness of the beer paired well with the freshness of the tomatoes. Actually who cares, I like the food and I like the beer. 


I am off to the greater Green Bay area for C's graduation on Mother's Day. It will be a wonderful celebration as both B and C will have graduated in a timely manner which is all one hopes for from their children. In addition, both had high GPAs which is an indication of at least attending a couple of classes along the way so another bonus. Of course, it would be a far happier and more wonderful Mother's Day if Amy was still with us physically to celebrate. We will have to settle for her spirit and memory as she is in our hearts always. Life doesn't always go to plan, in fact it rarely does, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't plan or think to the future. We owe it to our loved ones to keep searching and improving ourselves. Never give up, never surrender.

I will update again after the graduation and I am in Kentucky for my research project. I plan on providing some data around my first year of nomad wandering and plans for the future.

Until next time.

Thor

braxwood.com

3 comments:

  1. I'm too lazy to blog. A few pics and a paragraph is all you get from my travels. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still really enjoying the blog. Glad you’re writing when you can…don’t let the darling puppies hurt you!

    ReplyDelete