Welcome - Please read first

*** Welcome - Please Read First ***

 Welcome to my nomadic adventures. A few housekeeping items to start out.  I will attempt to make this readable on all devices but I am coun...

Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Kentucky - Louisville

I have been in the Louisville area this week as I wrap up my Kentucky trip. Technically I have been east of the city in the town of Shelbyville in a scenic county park. The fall colors continue to be impressive but I can see that the trees are starting to run out of color. It dipped a bit in temperature this week and my water hose outside froze. I am fine as the trailer has internal water tanks and lines that are heated so there was no damage. I just waited for the sun to do its job and melt the ice filled line. I won't make a habit of camping in this weather as I am not interested in getting a heated water line and more importantly I am not interested in being cold.

Lake Shelby County Park, Told you it was scenic. The bathhouse - not so nice
 
I was able to meet with A&J right away when I got to town which was convenient as I had several boxes sitting at their house. A&J were lovely hosts and made Ozzy and Lucy feel comfortable at their home as they have two dogs also (C & V) and they all got along really well. 
Hors d'oeuvres for people and the dogs -A is the hostess with the mostest


One night we went to a presentation at the downtown library of space exploration which was taught by a local professor who had been at Cal Tech during the decade we covered (basically the 80s). It was incredibly interesting to see the images and he was very engaging. I always enjoy listening to a lecture when the person giving it is knowledgeable and passionate about the topic. The room was full of other interested people and all in all it was a great night but there were no signs of any cryptozoological creatures - likely due to the absence of a microbrewery.

I then explored a local microbrewery on my own while they were busy working. I guess I never realized how that pesky work got in the way of the hunt for adventure. To make up for their absence I did my best to drink for all three of us. Holsopple Brewery had great promise for housing the elusive prey as they are the first brewery I have been to that has no internet presence to speak of. Clearly this is a low key off grid sort of place. That being said, I brought Ozzy and Lucy with me as I thought the extra eyes would help. In addition, on a per mammal basis this brought the average drink count down to a reasonable level. Unfortunately despite our best efforts, there was no sign of the creature that I seek.

Inside the brewery


Lucy relaxing on the outside patio

We checked out a local restaurant for dinner. The last time we were there together, B and C were also there and they played with a giant jenga set that was outside. There was no B, C, nor jenga that night as the patio was full of patrons enjoying the last of the beautiful weather. We then headed over to another establishment that specialized in various cocktails and had some local art work on their second floor. As usual, A&J were excellent hosts in finding cool places to look for Big Foot but it was not to be that night.

A and I went out searching high and low in Louisville another day. We checked out an urban indoor market that has food and other shops - Logan Street Market. We decided to pose as regular people and not the hunters that we are and relaxed with mimosas as we thought that might fool Big Foot into revealing herself. Unfortunately we were not successful there so we headed to another brewery where we were able to have lunch too.  Atrium Brewing was a really cool space that had an incredible selection of sours. Alas I am bitter fan and not a sour drinker but their ales were excellent along with the tacos. A was very helpful as she provided some ideas to a visitor from out of the area on things to do while in Louisville. That visitor was not Big Foot though so we eventually we decided to move along.

Atrium Brewing. I have no clever comment here

A&J joined me on the hunt again as we explored the Germantown area of Louisville. The Shop Bar had excellent mixed drinks and an eclectic crowd but no sign of Big Foot. We checked out another local establishment and A made the mistake of ordering a white wine. Apparently it was so bad that she took a sip, said nope, and put it down. She did offer both J and I a sip but we both declined based upon that review. We also stopped at an unusual store that had what one could only consider alternative items. I was interested in the map of cryptozoological sightings but the demon based items were not my cup of tea. I said a silent prayer and beat a hasty retreat. Needless to say, no Big Foot.

We ended up getting a very nice meal at Chik and Mi and my ramen was excellent as were the medley of vegetable dishes A&J had. We then went to see a neighbor of A&J who plays guitar as he had a show in the lower level of a bowling alley. It was a cool place and he along with his daughter were excellent. I am not normally a country fan but I do enjoy talent when I hear it. There were no sightings of any creatures out of the normal that day besides a few patrons at the various establishments. They were not Big Foot though so I let them be.

Neighbor of A&J - He's really good

A and I joined up for brunch and we dined al fresco at Chick and Mi again. The food was excellent as was the atmosphere and it was quite relaxing sitting on the patio. We enjoyed a mimosa and the fresh air. We would have spotted Big Foot had she come at that time but there was no sign that morning. We went back and the three of us relaxed on the patio. It was a lovely visit and I was even able to do some laundry which was a real bonus.

Brunch outside - very relaxing

I made one last attempt at locating Big Foot and went to 3rd Turn Brewing. I sampled a few of their selections and they were quite tasty so I bought a couple for the road. There is a beer I have had at several breweries that is called Kentucky Common which is a dark cream ale. It was very popular until prohibition and it is gratifying to see so many brewers bringing it back as it is very good and does differ at each establishment. I was unable to find Big Foot but I did enjoy one last visit with A at Feast BBQ where I was able to finally have some decent wings with a dry rub. My taste buds and beard appreciated that. It was sad to say goodbye to good friends but the road awaited and I was off again. 
3rd Turn is in an old church and has really a cool vibe


I am in West Virginia next. This will be exciting as I have been through West Virginia before but I have not spent much time there. It should be very quiet and peaceful as there is no cellular service within the park so I should be relatively off grid for a while. If no one hears from me by mid November, you might want to contact the authorities.

Thor

Braxwood.com

If you have not read all of these, please at least read the welcome message as it may explain a few things
about the adventure. Feel free to read all of the posts and comment. I may or may not reply to comments based upon an inscrutable set of criteria.

If you are interested in getting email notifications of these postings but have not figured out how to do that yet, you should read the welcome message. I have instructions in there and I do update the FAQs contained therein when I feel like it.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you’re getting to see quite a bit. I for one would love to see a map of your travels. Alternatively I could comb through the entries and map it myself…

    ReplyDelete